When it comes to hacking, there is a famous saying that “hacking is what makes coding an art” but there are many who disagree with this considering hacking as only a way of stealing data from system and users. Well, there are somehow right as those who entitle themselves as “hackers” have only received only hatred from the day the term “hacking” has been defined as –“ the gaining of unauthorized access to data in a system or computer”. But the time has changed and so is the importance of hackers in the technology-driven world.
Today, ethical hacking is seen as a new career opportunity for young aspirants who wants to contribute to society while earning big bucks. However, many candidates still in doubt whether their decision of pursuing a Certified Ethical Hacker Course turned out to be a much-needed opportunity or career disaster? Well, to find out both the advantages and potential dangers of becoming an ethical hacker they have to go through the below post. But right before we right let’s refresh the definition of ethical hacking.
What is Ethical Hacking?
In our previous blog “Hacking vs. Ethical Hacking: What Is the Boundary between Good and Bad?” we described different types of hackers including black and grey hat hackers. The ethical hackers are just the opposite of hackers and are entitled as white hat. Unlike grey and black hat, ethical hackers take permission to hack into a system just to find vulnerabilities that can be fixed later to protect the system from unwanted snoopers. This process is defined as ethical hacking.
There are large organizations that hire ethical hackers to secure data from external threats. As professionals, ethical hackers are capable of both hacking the system and fighting off the cyber-attack, protecting the system and its data all the way possible.
Those who are willing to take over the roles and responsibilities of an ethical hacker can pursue Cyber Security Certification Courses at ProICT Training.
Advantages of the ethical hacker
The majority of advantages of hiring ethical hackers are obvious but there are many advantages that are overlooked. These long list of advantages includes:
- Identifying the vulnerabilities in the system
- Fighting against cyber terrorism
- Fighting against the system breach
- Preparing the system that can prevent hackers from accessing valuable data
Apart from the above roles, ethical hackers also have a number of uses in organizations on both primary and secondary levels.
On the primary level, ethical hackers are used to:
- Assure the quality by leveraging information technology security analysis
- Support activities and projects related to information technology
- Compliance the documentation regarding the legal regulations
- Build awareness about cyber threats and crimes at all levels
On the secondary level, ethical hackers are responsible for answering questions like:
- All the promises made by the external solution provider are fulfilled?
- Are all necessary patch-ups done?
- Have the necessary security measures taken by experts?
- Are there any illegal installations are done by anyone?
In the 21st century, ethical hacking has become an inevitable part of the modern system, but there are also some drawbacks of hiring ethical hackers.
Potential threats of the ethical hacker
The ethical hacking activities also have a darker side, there are also some people who end up walking on the wrong path. The possible threats of hiring ethical hacker are:
- The ethical hacking can use the knowledge they have gained about the system to perform malicious activities
- Exposing the company’s financial and banking details
- Making massive security breach
There are always two faces of a coin. Similarly, learning ethical hacking has its own pros and cons every beginner or professional has to deal with. The objective of ethical hacking is to not use skills to pose a threat but the story doesn’t always have the right end as there are many who end up hacking with wrong intentions.
The digital era is moving forward with evolving system technology over time and ethical hackers need to update their skills to match the pace and protect systems in a better way. While learning ethical hacking, the individual must have ethical principles in mind to make sure they will not start walking on the wrong path.